February 22-24, 2024
The GoodBirth Network strengthens quality among midwifery centers in global settings with education. Join us for the next Midwifery Center Quality Celebration in Oaxaca, Mexico!
Midwifery centers have previously gathered in Haiti, Peru, and Mexico City. We are excited to meet once again, this time in the historic and picturesque city of Oaxaca, Mexico.
Travelers come to Oaxaca for many reasons: its rich culture, its festive colors, or its distinct cuisine. Oaxaca is a UNESCO world heritage site and there are nearby beaches and famed surfing. Oaxaca is easily accessible by international airlines and is one of Mexico’s safest cities. Travel and Leisure magazine readers have named Oaxaca ‘The Best City in the World’!
We look forward to meeting at the cultural mecca of Oaxaca because it is a perfect venue to explore global models that provide quality midwifery care. The midwifery centers of Mexico, which continue to grow in number, will be our hosts in exploring birth traditions and midwifery practices.
The three day conference will include a clinical skills workshop, participatory discussions focusing quality, and a day highlighting models of midwifery care in Mexico. As at previous conferences, our hope is to bring global midwifery centers together to share their experience, challenges, and best practices. We will explore the rich local culture along the way. Come, share, learn, and innovate. Celebrate quality at midwifery centers globally!
Call for abstracts and posters! If you’d like to present or share your work, please email a brief synopsis and preferred format (presentation, group discussion, poster session) to email@example.com.
Thursday, February 22, 2024 – Pre-conference Day for clinicians
- Hands-on review of emergency skills
- Emergency drills to take home for midwifery center staff’s
Friday, February 23, 2024 – Day 1 Clinical and Administrative tracks
- Clinical breakout discussions with a focus on a continuous quality framework for midwifery centers. How to provide consistent safe and high quality care – challenges and approaches, led by Jennifer Stevens CNM, DrPH
- Administration breakout discussions: Challenges of midwifery center administration – brainstorming challenges and approaches
- Country group meetings for Mexico and Haiti
- Midwifery center poster presentation
- Special presentation on kidnapping, ‘What every center, everywhere, needs to know and teach their staff: risks, prevention, and crisis management”
- Discussion on intercultural health & midwifery care, led by cultural anthropologist and reproductive health educator Cynthia Ingar PhD
Saturday, February 24, 2024 – Day 2
- Visit a midwifery center in Oaxaca City to discuss Mexican traditional midwifery skills (including the Mexican Rebozo technique) and discuss the diversity of midwifery practice & midwives in Mexico
- Visit local markets
- Non-stop flights to Oaxaca are available on American Airlines, Air Canada, Mesa Airlines, United, and Volaris
- The conference center will be Marriott’s City Centro Hotel in the historic center of Oaxaca. You may book your reservations here or aqui. For a discounted rate, use the promotional code: GOBIRTH.
- Participants may stay at the conference hotel or chose from a range of accommodations in this beautiful Colonia Jalatlaco neighborhood of Oaxaca
- The conference registration fee is $300. Your conference fee makes it possible for our Mexican hosts to attend at a reduced cost.
- Discussion groups in Spanish and English
Can’t attend but want to help? Scholarships fund training for global midwifery centers.
To register, please use the form below. We will invoice you for your secure on-line payment. Please register early so that we can plan for an adequate number of meeting rooms and include everyone in meaningful small group discussions.
If you would prefer to attend only one or two days of the three day conference, please let us know using the comments box. Will we send you an invoice for only that portion of the conference.
If you are looking for the payment page, it is here.