Debrah Lewis, RN LM CNM MSc
Mamatoto was founded to give women in Trinidad and Tobago the opportunity to receive individualized care and natural childbirth. Mamatoto is a Swahili word meaning ‘mother baby’ with the nuance of their natural mutual reciprocity. Mamatoto is also an acronym for Mothers and Midwives Alliance of Trinidad and Tobago.
The mission of Mamatoto is to make a safe, respectful and natural childbirth experience available to every woman. The board and staff of Mamatoto is committed to maintaining a community-based, accessible, equitable, and innovative childbirth centre. The program offers family centred, individualized care for healthy women and their families. Care is tailored to cultural needs and personal choices. Mamatoto achieves this by offering comprehensive counseling, education, and support during pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period in a freestanding birth centre. The members of the board believe that health is a right and that birth is a natural process.
Mamatoto is committed to the following values for the child-bearing woman:
- Self determined, informed choices
- Service to provide a safe satisfying and individualized birthing experience for women and their families
- Advocacy to promote the awareness of a healthy birthing alternative
- Education to provide information and education to the public, client and health-related professional about our already established Resource Centre
- Outreach to provide a means for community groups and members to communicate and work together around childbirth issues and to promote referral to appropriate services as the need arises.
- Weekly orientation tours of the centre
- Mothers & Mothers-To-Be online group
- Ask Yuh Mama-toto video resource centre
- Prenatal yoga classes
- Water births
- Placenta encapsulation
- Doula education program